Turkey Chili Taco Soup Recipe
Meal-Time Monday with the Papp Family
After a brief hiatus, Meal-Time Monday returns. This week we visited with the Papp family to discuss food & fellowship.
What does mealtime look like at your house?
Mealtime is FUN TIME at our house. We enjoy cooking together and, of course, eating together. Preparing meals together gives us extra time to talk and be playful. With work travel and extracurricular activities it can be difficult. Therefore, we cherish every opportunity for all three of us to have family time during dinner. Laughter is usually a must during meals.
Do you have any special traditions?
Highlight/lowlight. We each talk about why today was outstanding, and also share what was difficult about today. There is no right/wrong, we all celebrate our highs and discuss what we learned about our lows and how we can make it better next time. About 3 years ago Erica Michelle started asking us to share childhood stories. In addition to those stories, we enjoy talking about our extended family. When you have great grandparents with 8 siblings, of which one made it to the Guinness book of records in March – May 2004 for being the oldest person in the world alive (114 yrs 272 days http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
How is meal-time more than just a meal?
Mealtime does not end with the food we eat. We all help clear the table and clean up. We all continue our conversation/stories, and much laughter until the last glass, plate, utensil is put away. Dave and I grew up in households were meals were a celebration. It is very important for us to continue that tradition with Erica Michelle.
We enjoy cooking pork loin, baked chicken, pasta and also Puertorrican dishes (fried plantains, rice/beans). When in a rush, the Turkey Chili Taco Soup is the perfect combo for a delicious yet quick meal to prepare. I always try to have the non-produce ingredients in the pantry. So, when thinking about preparing this meal, it’s a quick trip to the store for some fresh cilantro and avocado. We hope you enjoy this one pot dish as much as we do. Bon Appetite!!!
Turkey Chili Taco Soup ~ Bruny Papp
For printable version click here.
Size: 1 ¼ cups
Fat: 1.4 g
Fiber: 7.0 g
- 1.3 lbs 99 % lean ground Turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 oz can rotel tomatoes with green chilies if you like spicy (I actually use a 10 oz can of regular Diced tomatoes)
- 15 oz canned or frozen corn, drained
- 15 oz kidney beans (white ones), drained but no need to wash
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 16 oz fat free refried beans
- 1 packet taco seasoning (mild, medium, etc…your choice)
- 1 to 1 ½ cups fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Fresh cilantro: ½ for cooking, ½ cup to garnish when serving
- 1 Large Avocado cut in small squares (we use 2 because we love Avocados)
- Tortilla Chips (crumbled into small pieces for topping)
- 1.In a large pot, brown turkey on medium heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. When cooked through, add onions and peppers and cook 2 – 3 minutes.
- 2.Add tomatoes, corn beans, tomato sauce, refried beans, taco seasoning, cilantro, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- 3.Set to low and simmer about 10 – 15 min.
- Serve chili, top it with few tortilla chips, add avocado and with fresh cilantro.
- Freeze leftovers in individual portions for future meals.
We did not add the following ingredients because we like our chili simple. But, feel free to try them if you enjoy them as a topping on your chili.
- Tabasco sauce
- Reduced fat cheese
- Chopped scallions
- Low fat sour cream
Choose groups to clone to: