At our Opening Convocation last Thursday, where we welcomed back Legacy’s dedicated faculty and staff, I introduced a new theme for the 2021-2022 school year. This year’s theme is our core value, Primacy of Scripture, supported by our theme verses: “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”
(2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV)
Since the adoption of our strategic plan in 2018, each year we have emphasized one of our six core values: 1) Pursuit of Truth; 2) Primacy of Scripture; 3) Imago Dei; 4) Covenant Relationships; 5) Discipleship; and 6) Servant-Leadership. For the last two years, we have focused on imago Dei as our annual theme. Given the cultural moment in which we find ourselves, it is altogether appropriate to re-emphasize Primacy of Scripture, which directs us to “teach all subjects from a biblical worldview and apply the truth and authority of biblical principles in all situations.” In our world today there are competing alternative worldviews and philosophies that are working hard to capture the hearts and minds of our children. We must anchor our education on the primacy of Scripture if we hope to capture their hearts and minds for Christ.
Below are five specific strategies that we will employ this year to promote our core value of Primacy of Scripture.
- Express our love for and dedication to God and his written word. Consciously look for opportunities to share the truth and wisdom of Scripture with our students, our parents and our colleagues.
- Make sure we are “well at home” in the Scriptures. Personal Bible study must be a part of each individual’s spiritual discipline. As Christian leaders, let’s practice what we preach.
- Apply the truth and authority of Scripture to all contemporary issues and in all adversarial situations. There is no issue, problem, dilemma, or conflict that cannot be solved by the proper interpretation and application of God’s word.
- Continue to emphasize our core value of imago Dei. If we hold to this biblical value, there is no room for hatred, prejudice, or racism.
- Promote biblical justice as the alternative to social justice. Speak boldly on behalf of those who have been abused and oppressed. Seek reconciliation and restoration, not blame and retribution.
We are not limiting our efforts to these strategies. In fact, I challenged our faculty and staff to expand these strategies as they planned their lessons and activities for the year. I welcome your ideas and suggestions as well. Let’s join together in the unity of the Spirit to teach and model our belief that the word of God is true, reliable, and the final authority of faith and practice.
Bill McGee is in his sixth year as Head of School at Legacy Christian Academy in Frisco, Texas. He is a veteran educator who has 40 years of experience serving in public and private schools, including 30 years serving as head of private schools in Texas, Tennessee, and Mississippi.
Legacy Christian Academy is Frisco's preeminent Pre-K through 12 Christian school committed to educating students in a college preparatory environment balanced in academics, athletics, and fine arts–all within the context of a biblical worldview. For more information on Legacy, visit our admissions page.